Regardless of the time of year or the fruit in season, a crumble makes such a comforting, rustic dessert that can be thrown together at a moment’s notice requiring no special ingredients or any sort of kitchen prowess. This Lemony Blueberry Brown Sugar Crumble is one of those recipes, with just the right balance of everything.
It’s no secret lemon & blueberries go together, it’s also not particularly original but this recipe is so good & it’s simple as I’ve already stated. The older I get, the more I crave no-fuss, real food, people & surroundings. Especially with all my husband & I currently have going on right now.
My mother-in-law, Pat passed away Thursday, January 18th. That Saturday my brother-in-law & his lovely lady came to our home for dinner. I thought we could all do with some comforting. It had been a rough few weeks with Pat ill in hospital. I made this crumble, a recipe I made up on the fly & roasted chicken for dinner. Nourishing, wholesome food. When I don’t know what else to do, I cook, it’s how I nurture.
The four of us concurred the crumble was absolutely delicious. So much so I scribbled down the recipe, tested it again & now I’m sharing it with you.
When I decided to put together a vegetarian menu for Valentine’s day to share on my monthly newsletter, I went with comfort food over fancy. Fruit over chocolate. This Lemony Blueberry Brown Sugar Crumble was the dessert I knew had to be part of the menu. And although blueberries aren’t in season here, there was a glut of them in the stores – inexpensive & gorgeous. Not local but, as we’re halfway through our deepfreeze in the part of the world, most of what we’re eating probably isn’t locally grown either.
If you have a stash of blueberries in your freezer left over from last summer or autumn, well lucky you. I used fresh berries as stated in the recipe but frozen would work in a pinch, the fruit base would be more liquid & may require a spoonful more flour.
While some might not consider a crumble to conjure up any romantic notions, I believe, no matter what you cook, whether it be Valentine’s day or ‘just because’, cooking food you’ve made from scratch to share with family or friends, is certainly one way to to show you care. And at the end of the day, that’s what matters.
A Pinterst pic to share
- 2 lbs (907g) fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup all purpose (plain) flour
- 1/4 cup granulated (white) sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- BROWN SUGAR CRUMBLE
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising (raising) flour
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) softened butter
- Grease a deep, 9 x 9 inch (23 x 23cm) baking dish. Preheat oven to 350F (180C).
- Toss the berries, flour, sugar, zest & lemon juice together in a medium bowl & tumble the mixture into the baking dish.
- To make the brown sugar crumble: Combine the flour & brown sugar together in a medium bowl. Rub the butter into the flour mixture until it’s well combined & looks like coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the crumble mixture over the berries. Bake for about 40 minutes or until browned & the berry mixture is bubbling around the edges.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.