Truth be told, this recipe happened because I have several pumpkins loitering about the kitchen from Halloween. Yes, I know, that was over two months ago. I hated to waste them, especially knowing they’re good eating squash. So tah-dah – Roasted Squash, Pear & Arugula salad, loaded with antioxidants & fiber. Creamy roasted squash, slices of juicy pear, perfectly toasted pine nuts, tart pomegranate seeds & peppery arugula all come together to make this salad pretty darn fabulous.
I used kabocha squash with its burnt orange flesh & earthy flavor but feel free to use whatever good roasting squash/pumpkin you have available. Surely I can’t be the only one with holiday pumpkin decorations still in the house.
Because they’re in season, I used pomegranate seeds strewn over the salad. Their tartness is a nice contrast to the sweetness of the squash. Not to mention their pop of crimson. If you can’t find them dried cranberries would be a good understudy.
They make a mess of the kitchen…
In my quest to eat more veggies, we’re having this tonight with a spicy creole salmon patty recipe I’m testing. I made the patties yesterday on my Sunday cook day so apart from browning the patties, dinner is almost done. I feel a little smug.
Serve this up as a main meal or as a side dish. Full of wholesome goodness, your body will thank you. Toodles xo.
- 24 oz (680g) peeled & seeded squash/pumpkin (such as kabocha or blue hubbard)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons crushed red pepper (dried chili flakes)
- 2 tablespoons thyme sprig tips
- a good pinch of salt & pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 ripe pears, halved, cored & sliced
- 2 handfuls of baby arugula & spinach leaf mix
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- LEMON VINAIGRETTE
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- pinch salt & pepper
- To make the vinaigrette, put all ingredients into a jar; shake to combine.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut squash into thin wedges & Place on baking sheet in a single layer. Drizzle with oil & toss to coat each wedge is oil. Scatter, crushed red pepper, thyme salt & pepper over squash & roast for 20 minutes. Drizzle with honey & roast a further 5 minutes or until browned & caramelized. Set aside to cool.
- Arrange roasted squash, pear slices & arugula on platter. Drizzle with dressing & sprinkle with pine nuts & pomegranate seeds.