Nuts are the perfect picking food for parties & causal get-togethers. Toss nuts with warm spices & honey, roast & serve in small glasses or individual bags & now we’re talking nut nirvana – crunchy festive spiced nuts: you’re going to want to make these okay?!
To achieve optimum crunch, toss the nuts in lightly whisked egg white. This coats the nuts, along with whatever spice & sweetener, in this case honey, you choose. Then roast the mixture for 20 or so minutes & once cooled, the nuts are super crunchy.
Although I’ve called this recipe “crunchy festive spiced nuts”, nuts are good any time: for snacking & entertaining but I’m preaching to the choir because you know that already.
During the festive season I see people tend to panic & stress thinking entertaining guests equates to lots of cooking & clean-up: but it doesn’t have to be. These days I try & entertain smarter – a few simple, make-ahead recipes. That way I get to enjoy the experience too. A good festive nut is just perfect for the silly season.
Some good olives & cheese to serve along side the nuts, washed down with some bubbles and daaaarlink! I am there!! xo
- 1 (large) egg white
- 2 tablespoons honey, optional
- 1 tablespoon crushed dried chilies
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups whole natural almonds
- 1 1/2 cups walnuts
- 1/2 cup pepita seeds
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds (optional, you could use sesame seeds)
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk egg white, honey, chilies, cumin, pepper, salt & cinnamon together in a medium bowl for 1 minute or until well combined and thick.
- Add nuts; stir to coat – this might take several stirs to make sure everything is coated. Spread the mixture onto the prepared baking sheet. Roast for about 22 minutes or until the nuts are golden brown; stirring once during cooking. Let cool on baking sheet. Nuts will become crisp on standing. Place into clean jars when nuts are completely cool. Makes about 4 cups.