Let’s just start this post with a disclaimer shall we: Slow Cooker Mexican Beef Pot Roast probably isn’t very Mexican as its name suggests. Although its flavors are reminiscent of the Mexican cuisine & it was inspired by the breeder I bought my beautiful Mango from in Tijuana & he is 100% Mexican. We became friends & he made me something similar in taste & texture to this recipe but with lamb.
The beef in this recipe is succulent & delicious, flavored with smoky paprika, onions, garlic, woody cumin, jalapenos & tomatoes then finished with fresh lime juice & lots of fresh cilantro.
Don’t you just love this time of year when you can utilize the slow cooker? Serve the pot roast family-style with some warm tortillas & all the fixin’s. Or do as I do & break the beef it into chunks, portion it & freeze it. I then make nachos with it for one meal. Or a quick beef chili with some kidney beans. Of course it’s perfect in tacos. Also on tostadas piled high with tomatoes, lettuce, sour cream & such. It’s also fabulous served with polenta or mashed potatoes. Or just keep it simple & enjoy it with some fresh greens, avocado & a little queso fresco.
Of course if you’re eating anything remotely Mexican then I insist you have a margarita to wash it all down. Maybe even two. Cheers for now, Lovoni xo
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 lb (1.4kg) chuck beef pot roast, large chunks of fat removed
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup salsa (homemade or store-bought)
- 14oz (400g) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 to 3 diced fresh jalapenos
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- Sliced avocado, diced red onion, cilantro, lime wedges, sliced jalapeno, queso fresco (or feta cheese), to serve
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Brown the roast on both sides for about 5 minutes or until golden; remove from pan and place in a large slow cooker.
- Add onion, carrots, garlic, chili powder, paprika & cumin to the same pan. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until spices are fragrant; add to slow cooker.
- Add salt, salsa, tomatoes & jalapenos. Cook on low for 8 to 10 hours (or on high for 6 hours) or until meat is very tender & can be pulled apart with forks but still holds its shape.
- Sprinkle cilantro & lime juice over meat.
- Break meat into pieces to serve. Serve with the juice mixture from the slow cooker. Top with avocado, red onion, cilantro, lime wedges, sliced jalapeno & queso if desired. Serves 6 to 8.
- The pot roast can be made ahead of time: Let the pot roast cool & store in the fridge for 1 to 2 days. Scrape any fat from the top before reheating either in the slow cooker or microwave oven.