You’ve heard it before but the simplest things are often the best. In part because they’ve got nothing to hide behind & nothing to mask their truth. And although this sounds a trifle cliched, the saying is relevant to many things in life – especially food. This 20 minute chicken lentil soup is simple. Simple, wholesome & immensely flavorful.
To be quite transparent, I generally keep a decently stocked freezer in that I have homemade stock, sauces, & one or two cooked pulses at the ready – in this instance, lentils. This enables me to make many meals rather speedily. Such is the case with this 20 minute chicken lentil soup recipe. Good chicken broth is a must to have on hand during the chilly autumn & winter months. I make mine in a slow cooker. It’s easy & has excellent flavor & if you’ve not made slow cooker broth might I suggest you start. Get the recipe here.
In a pinch, use store-bought broth & canned lentils for this recipe. However I do stress – because this soup is so simple in its ingredients & flavors, it is best to use a good broth base.
Onions, carrots, garlic & ginger start the soup. Fresh jalapenos, lentils & Italian parsley finish it. If a soup can be considered both hearty & light at the same time then this soup can claim the title. Make it for dinner one night & then freeze the rest for lunches during the week. Simple.
Until next time, cheers,
HERE’S A PIC TO SHARE ON PINTEREST
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 4 carrots, peeled & sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
- 4 cups good chicken broth
- 1 cup cooked brown lentils
- 2 cups coarsely shredded chicken, (use a rotis chicken from the store or leftover roasted chicken or turkey
- 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion, carrot, garlic & ginger for about 5 minutes or until onion is softened.
- Add the broth & lentils & cook for 5 minutes. Stir in chicken & jalapeno. Cook for 5 minutes or until carrot is softened.
- Top individual bowls with parsley. Serves 2 to 4.