Whether you’re cooking for a crowd or want to be able to throw together a quick evening meal, you can’t go wrong with a colorful plate of antitpasto, especially with the abundance of eggplants, zucchini & peppers we currently have in the northern hemisphere. Grilled eggplant, zucchini & peppers marinated in a balsamic & basil dressing & served with some creamy, buffalo mozzarella & salty prosciutto.
Add whatever else takes your fancy: salami, olives, artichokes or sundried tomatoes.
I find there’s always something so unhurried with sharing heaping plates of food to pick at. Most days I’d prefer to graze on something like antipasto than sit down to a full meal.
And of course if there happens to be any leftovers, chop them up & throw them into a salad or add them to pasta or a grilled sandwich. I know I harp on about make-ahead food but with good reason, it makes life easier, especially when you’re entertaining. And really, who wouldn’t appreciate things easier, especially when it comes to cooking. Cheers,
A PINTEREST PIC FOR YOU TO SHARE
- 2 medium eggplant
- 3 medium zucchini
- 3 large red or multi-colored bell peppers (capsicum)
- olive oil, for drizzling
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- 2 to 3 balls fresh mozzarella (I love buffalo mozzarella)
- 12 to 18 thin slices prosciutto
- extra basil leaves for garnish
- BALSAMIC MARINADE
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped basil leaves
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- pinch of salt & freshly ground pepper
- To make the marinade: Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl or shallow dish; set aside.
- Cut eggplant & zucchini lengthways into thin slices. Trim peppers & remove seeds & membranes. Cut in half or thirds. Drizzle veggies with a little oil & sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Preheat a barbecue to high. Cook eggplant & zucchini in batches on greased grill for about 3 minutes per side, until grill marks appear. For the peppers, cook them 8 to 10 minutes, skin side down, until skin blackens & blisters, do not turn peppers.
- Cut eggplant & zucchini into 2 to 3-inch (5 to 7.5cm) pieces. Add to marinade. Cut peppers into 1-inch (2.5cm) strips add to marinade. Stir veggies ensuring they’re all coated in the marinade. Cover & chill for 6 hours or overnight, stirring occasionally.
- To serve: Drain veggies from marinade & them on a platter. Tear mozzarella into pieces & add to platter. Loosely roll each slice of prosciutto & add to platter. Serves 6.