Marinate chicken breasts in lemon juice & zest, lots of garlic & fresh herbs then grill them to succulent perfection, toss them onto a bed of baby greens you’ve picked from your own garden & topped with marinated artichokes, sundried tomatoes, pine nuts, feta & Mediterranean grilled chicken salad is born.
Okay, maybe you’re not picking baby greens you’ve grown yourself but for those of us that are picking & eating produce we’ve grown, there’s something intensely satisfying & dare I say, smug in growing your own food. And while I can’t attest to having grown everything in this salad, the greens, herbs & cucumbers are products of a little nurturing from me combined with Indiana soil, sunshine & rain.
This is my first summer in Indiana & I have planted everything in pots because we’re going to be moving soon. Being in pots hasn’t stopped cucumbers, tomatoes, salad greens, peppers & herbs from growing like mad. The herbs are so prolific I pick them like normal people do flowers & put them around the house in little, old mixing bowls & jars. Simple & rustic.
The dressing for the salad is also pretty simple: your basic balsamic, lemon vinaigrette sweetened with a little honey.
Generally not a consumer of marinated vegetables from a jar, I don’t condemn it either, especially not in a Mediterranean grilled chicken salad where you want marinated artichokes & sundried tomatoes. I do make most of our meals from scratch but the likelihood of me preparing, cooking & marinating artichokes is a stretch.
Because I utilized some ready-made ingredients, this salad was pretty quick & certainly easy to make. The Mediterranean cuisine is touted be one of the healthiest in the world, relying on lots of fresh produce, olive oil, garlic, nuts, seeds, legumes & some lean protein. This salad fits quite snuggly right into this description. Washed down of course, with a glass of vino. Cheers for now, Lovoni
A PINTEREST IMAGE FOR YOU TO SHARE
Here’s another grilled chicken recipe – cashew turmeric chicken I made just recently & loved.
- 2 small boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- salt & freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups baby green
- 10 pieces marinated quartered artichokes, drained
- 2 small cucumbers, sliced
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes in oil, drained and sliced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup toasted pine nuts
- 4 oz (113g) feta cheese, thinly sliced
- BALSAMIC VINAIGRETTE
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoons honey
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- pinch salt & freshly ground pepper
- To make the vinaigrette, combine all ingredients in a jar with a screw-top lid; shake until very well combined.
- Preheat a grill (barbie) to medium.
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, lemon zest, juice, parsley, oregano, oil, garlic, salt & pepper, making sure the chicken is well coated in the mixture. Cook on a greased grill, over medium heat, for about 5 minutes each side, or until cooked. Let chicken rest for 5 minutes before cutting crossways into slices.
- Dived greens between two large serving bowls. Top with artichokes, cucumber, tomatoes & onion. Drizzle with vinaigrette. Top with pine nuts & feta. Serves 2 to 3.