Cherry, pecan & goat cheese salad – ruby red cherries, sweet pecans and creamy goat cheese tossed through baby spring greens and drizzled in a honey balsamic vinaigrette makes for a light, summery starter or as the perfect accompaniment to grilled pork, duck or any wild meat.
A recipe, especially a salad, doesn’t have to be complicated to be good. As Steve Jobs once said “simplicity is the ultimate sophistication”. This quote works so well when referring t0 design such as fashion, art or interiors but it can also pertain to food. In its simplicity, food that’s free of fuss allows the fresh ingredients to shine.
And it’s the reason why it’s so important to use the freshest, in-season ingredients you can afford. Simple as this salad is, take the time to let each ingredient play the hero: allow the goat cheese come to room temperature so you can taste its complexities…
toast the pecans first to release their wonderful sweet, almost maple-like flavor and nostalgic aroma…select fresh cherries and carefully pit them…soak the baby greens in cold water for awhile to not only wash them but to also revitalize them…season the vinaigrette so it’s just right…
When you create and serve food that’s simple in its ingredients and presentation, you want to treat each ingredient with care. Then you want to savor each bite, enjoying how the flavors marry so perfectly. Eating for your health and vitality doesn’t mean deprivation. It does mean trying new things, opening yourself up to the possibility of less is more. Unless of course we’re talking about money, healthy and happiness…then more is always better. Until next time, enjoy the beautiful bounty each season has to offer. Toodles xo, Lovoni
pinterest pic to share with your followers
- 6 good handfuls of spring mix (baby lettuce leaves)
- 2 cups cherries, pitted
- 4 oz (113g) soft goat cheese, broken into pieces
- 1 cup toasted pecan halved, coarsely chopped
- MUSTARD BALSAMIC DRESSING
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grainy mustard
- 2 teaspoons honey
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- To make the dressing: Place all ingredients in a jar with a screw top lid; shake until well combined.
- Place leaves in a large serving bowl or four to six individual plates.
- Scatter cherries, goat cheese & pecans over lettuce. Drizzle with dressing. Serves 4 to 6.