Perfectly cooked, juicy steak, onion, mushroom and pepper skewers are drizzled with a melted cream cheese mixture to make the perfect barbecue feast.
This recipe is basically the Philly cheesesteak sandwich, or hoagie, without the bread. First thing to do is toss the meat in a peppery rub.
Then chop the veggies.
Then the steak strips and veggies get threaded onto skewers. Now I don’t bother with soaking the bamboo skewers. I use bamboo skewers for testing if a cake is cooked and skewing food that doesn’t require cooking. If you loved skewered meat, buy some metal skewers and save the fussing around with soaking them, only to find they catch alight anyway.
Towards the end of cooking, I brush the skewers with garlic butter – as one does. Then all that’s left to do is melt the oniony herb cream cheese in the microwave and pour over the skewers to serve them. This recipe is simple to prepare, easy to cook and offers big results: maximum output for minimum effort…how often does that happen? Oh and it’s low carb, another reason to try it. If only everything in life was this uncomplicated. Fire up your grill and take a crack at these. Let me know what you think. Until next time xo.
A PIC FOR YOU TO SHARE ON PINTEREST
- 2 New York strip steaks (sirloin), approx 1 1/2 lbs (680g)
- 2 tablespoons coarse ground pepper
- 1teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium bell peppers (capsicum), seeded and cut into 1 inch (2cm) pieces
- 6 oz (170g) mushrooms, halved
- 1 large red onion, cut into 1 inch (2cm) pieces
- 12, 8 to 10-inch (20 – 24cm) metal skewers
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5.2 oz (147g) Boursin cheese (shallot and chive), or flavored cream cheese of your choice
- 1/3 cup half and half (light cream)
- Trim thick fat from each steak and discard. Cut each steak into 1/4 inch thick slices (about 6mm) and place in a medium bowl or a re-sealable plastic bag. Add pepper, salt and oil; toss to combine. Cover or seal (you can do this a day ahead).
- Thread the pieces of steak accordion style on skewers alternating with peppers, mushrooms and onions. Preheat a barbecue (barbie) to high.
- Combine garlic and butter in a small microwavable dish. Microwave on high, about 20 seconds until butter is melted.
- Reduce the bbq heat to medium-high. Cook skewers on greased grill about 3 minutes per side. Brush with garlic butter mixture and cook a further 1 minute per side or until cooked to your liking. Remove skewers to a plate or baking sheet. Cover with foil; let stand while you make the sauce.
- Place the cheese and cream into a small microwaveable dish and heat on high for 30 seconds; stir. Continue to melt for 30 seconds intervals, stirring in between, until cheese is melted. Drizzle cheese over skewers. Makes 10 to 12.