Popular in the Mediterranean, pickled shrimp are briefly cooked before being bathed in a lemony, herb and garlic marinade overnight. A super simple, dead easy and absolutely delicious appetizer or hors d’oeuvre.
Shrimp are low in calories and fat and are one of the speediest foods to make, requiring very little cooking. Apart from peeled off their shell, there’s very little need doing to them.
I like to pop a bowl of them on the table with some cute toothpicks and small appetizer plates, and let everyone help themselves.
Many of you are used to seeing shrimp breaded and fried try them this way and I promise you won’t be disappointed. Little to no mess to clean up and saves on fat and calories. Tastes fantastic and kind to the waistline…sign me up! Until next time, toodles xo.
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 24 - 28 peeled & deveined medium-large shrimp (prawns) with their tails intact
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 tablespoon crushed red chili peppers
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- pinch of salt
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil; stir in salt. Add shrimp. Cook for about 2 minutes or until shrimp have just turned pink. Remove shrimp to a bowl of iced water. Let stand 5 minutes; drain.
- Whisk juice, vinegar, oil, parsley, chili peppers, oregano & a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Add shrimp & onion; stir until well combined. Cover & chill 8 hours or overnight, 24 hours is best if you have time, this gives time for shrimp to pickle & marinate.