Often the simplest things are the best. Especially when it comes to food. This recipe of roasted feta & tomatoes is simple & rustic, it uses few ingredients, takes almost no effort & you can serve it as an appetizer to guests or as part of a weeknight meal with some pesto pasta or a roast chicken. It would also work brilliantly as part of a brunch menu.
It’s embarrassingly easy…
About the only effort I exerted making this was going outside to pick the tomatoes in the heat. Speaking of heat…whew, who knew Indiana would be this hot? Feels like Florida some days.
Throw tomatoes, chunks of good feta, a lemon, garlic, olives, salt & pepper onto a baking sheet…
Drizzle with a little olive oil & pop it into the oven to roast for about 30 minutes.
Feta cheese doesn’t melt cooking it like this, instead its flavor intensifies as it becomes soft & creamy. It’s without a doubt my favorite way to eat it. You want to eat this warm.
As the tomatoes roast their flavor also intensifies & they produce their own sauce. Tomatoes are a bit of an anomaly in that they’re better for you cooked than raw. So get making passata.
As we get ready to start packing our house up at the end of next week, move & renovate, I’m determined to keep eating fresh, healthy food during the whole process. This recipe either on its own or with some grilled meat takes no effort & just one pan so there’s no excuse to eat take-out or carb-laden quick snack while busy packing the house up. All it takes is a little baking pan. We had this tonight. once again I marveled how simple, yet how good it is. Good produce really needs so little. If you love tomatoes, check out more of our summery, no-cook tomato recipes . Until next time, xo.
Pinterest pic to share
- 8 oz (226g) piece feta (I use sheep feta)
- 20 oz (566) g cherry or grape tomatoes (or a mixture)
- 1 bulb garlic, halved
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/3 cup basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). For fan-forced ovens reduce temp by 25 degrees.
- Break the feta into large chunks.
- Combine feta, tomatoes, garlic, lemon & olives on a parchment paper-lined baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil; sprinkle with salt & pepper. Roast for about 30 minutes or until tomatoes are wilted & feta is browned in places.
- Sprinkle with basil leaves just before serving. Serves 4.